Sunday, January 3, 2010

Update on Beckett-Boo


So it has been awhile since I posted an update on Beckett. He is doing well, a couple ear infections but otherwise okay.

Since my last post about Beck, he had a sleep study done. That was AWFUL. There is no other word for it. They covered him from head to toe in 27 different monitors and sensors while he cried hysterically and then left the room so I could calm him down and put him to bed, where he was supposed to sleep soundly all night. That did not happen. At 6AM, the tech came in, switched on the lights and said "Well it was a successful study. He only woke up a couple times." I looked at him and said, "Really? I counted nine times." A!W!F!U!L!

Well we had to wait quite awhile for the sleep study results. But...the sleep study results were not what we were hoping for. We were hoping for obstructive apnea, adenoids, which is very common in children. It came back as central apnea, very uncommon. Central apnea is a neurological problem where the brain does not signal a person to breathe often enough. The child will have apneas, occurences where they don't breathe for more than ten seconds. It is found primarily in premature babies, abused children, and children with brain injuries/tumors. Scary stuff!!! Beckett had 14 central apneas the night of the sleep study, 47 hypopneas, and NO obstructive apneas. Our pediatrician's take on it was we will be on oxygen long term until the central apnea resolves itself or we come up with another course of action. She wanted to get our pulmonologist's take on all of it though. Well he told her although the sleep study indicated central apnea, he does not think that describes Beckett as well as obstructive apnea. So he wants to go through with the surgery for the ear tubes, adenoids, bronchoscopy and laryngoscopy. He is hopeful that the surgery will work and that Beck could be off O2 by the end of March.

This is good news but I am a little apprehensive. I don't know how you get a test result like central apnea and just discard it as oh that can't be. I guess that is why I pay experts and am not one myself. I am hopeful but am keeping it in the back of my mind that our doctor is still speculating to some degree. Surgery is January 15th. I am scared. I am also hopeful that this will be the beginning of an end to oxygen.

2 comments:

muddle41 said...

Steph, thanks for updating and all that you continue to do for your family. Dad and I are not planning to go up for the surgery, trying to give you and Mike your space. If our presence and support would help, we will be there in a heartbeat, just say the word. Love you

Karine said...

Oh, Steph! I am so sorry. There is nothing like health problems with a little one. Thankfully, Beck has the best mom ever who will be patient and proactive through all this.
Our prayers are with little Beck, and of course all of you.
We love you guys!